Friends of the North Tonawanda Public Library
The Friends of the North Tonawanda Public Library meet on the second Monday of the month at 7:00pm.
The Friends of the Library invite you to join us in our support of Operation Paperback by bringing your used paperbacks to the library.
FAQs about the Friends Library:
We are a non-profit civic organization whose members enjoy using the Library and supporting Library activities.
The Friends of the Library was established in 1969. At that time the Library was located in the Carnegie Building on Goundry St., and the Friends spearheaded a successful effort to turn the caretaker’s cottage into a meeting facility. The group’s stated purpose was “to broaden the [Library] services offered to the community and to help promote a fuller understanding of the Library’s functions.” Many years later, this goal is still valid. The Friends also assist the Library financially by raising funds and by volunteering in many ways.
- Sponsor speakers, concerts, movies, craft programs, author talks, classes luncheons, and countless other programs and events for children and adults throughout the year.
- Fund the Children’s Dept. Reading is Fundamental (RIF) summer book giveaway.
- Assist with the Summer Reading Club registration and staff the RIF room.
- Sponsor the Adult Summer Reading program.
- Conduct the Annual Used Book Sale, our major fundraiser, sorting and arranging the books and clerking during the sale.
- Deliver books for the Library Shut-in Service to people confined to their homes.
- Encourage the donation of memorial/honorary monies through the Friends’ Tribute Fund.
- Have saved taxpayer dollars by funding the purchase of computers, toys, art prints and other items for general use.
A board of up to no less than ten members whose officers are elected annually. Meetings are open to all dues-paying members.
Membership dues are augmented by profits from the annual used book sale. An ongoing used book sale, raffles, and sales of coffee mugs, book bag, Library shirts and the like are also fund raisers.
All you need to do is fill out the membership form and return it to the Library with a check that is made payable to the Friends of the North Tonawanda Public Library. You will receive the Library Newsletter and special advance admission to the Book Sale. You can also volunteer with our organization as you support the Library and its services.