Better Book Covers Contest
North Tonawanda Public Library’s
Better Book Covers Contest
January 16th – March 4th
Reception on March 13th @ 6:30pm-8pm-cancelled
Open to ALL teens 13-19 with a valid NIOGA library card
- This contest is open to anyone 13-19 with a NIOGA library card.
- You can reimagine any book the North Tonawanda Public Library owns.
- Your better book cover must be the same size as the book you’re reimagining.
- The title and author must appear on the front cover, as well as on the spine. You must also make a back for your book cover.
- You must use your own artwork, or copyright-free artwork.
- We’re sorry, but your entry must be flat.
See full contest rules here. Questions? Ask us at kmenzel @ nioga.org!
How To Enter:
Bring your better book cover to the Information Desk at the library to enter! We’ll ask you to fill out a form, which we need to enter your cover. You can also take the form and turn it in with your book cover. We recommend that you check out the book you’re creating a cover for while you create. We’ll display your cover until and at the reception.
All entries must be received after January 16th, 2017 and by March 4th, 2017. We cannot accept any entries after March 4th.
1st: A $25 Barnes and Noble gift card, and art supplies to help you create more dream covers. Your book cover will grace our library book for a year! We’ll also post your cover on our website and social media. We’ll try to contact the author and let them know about your awesome reimagining.
2nd and 3rd: A $10 Barnes and Noble gift card. Your book cover will grace our library book for a year! We’ll also post your cover on our website and social media. We’ll try to contact the author and let them know about your awesome reimagining.
Fan Favorite: A $10 Barnes and Noble gift card. Your book cover will grace our library book for a year! We’ll also post your cover on our website and social media. We’ll try to contact the author and let them know about your awesome reimagining.
All entries: All contestants will receive a participation prize, given out at our Better Book Covers reception. We’ll feature your cover artwork on our social media, and all entries will be shown at our Better Book Covers reception on Monday, March 13th from 6:30-8pm, held in the main room of the library.
How Judging Works:
Our panel of judges will decide the winner based on the following criteria:
- How well the cover fits the book—does it capture the feel of the book? If there’s a puppy on the cover, it would be good if puppies are in the book. Do you use lots of snowflakes for a book set in Arizona—maybe not the best idea, unless it’s full of snow metaphors. Your entry form will ask you where you got the inspiration for your cover from. We’ll take that into consideration.
- Readability—can we easily read the title and author? This is important. They don’t need to be huge, but they do need to be legible.
- Audience Appeal—is this something the book’s target audience would like? A cover that appeals to horror fans looks different from one that appeals to romance fans. Keep the book’s audience in mind.
- Is it a better cover than the current one? The point is to highlight books that deserved better covers or that need a cover update.
A fan-favorite book cover will also be chosen by attendees at our Better Book Covers reception on Monday, March 13th from 6:30-8pm, based on anonymous voting.
All winners will be announced at the reception. If you win and cannot attend the reception, we will contact you.
The Reception-cancelled, sorry!:
A reception for all contest entrants, winners, and the public will be held on Monday, March 13th, from 6:30-8pm. We invite you to come see all the creative covers, enjoy some snacks, vote on your fan favorite (who will also win a prize and have their cover featured on our book for a year), and learn who the winners are. All entrants are encouraged to attend.